Sunday, June 22, 2008

Other black Presidents

The other six Presidents of african descent.

A few years ago I had a girlfriend who got me interested in the concept of people who "passed" as white - around the time that I read Philip Roth's book about passing - the movie character was portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, which i think, purely as a casting move, was breathtaking in it's evasion -the point of the book was about the toll it takes on a man's soul passing for white in a racist world.

Nearly everyone I talk to seems to have some sort of short-circuit about Barack Obama's heritage, which I suppose is only natural, since miscegenation was outlawed in the last of 17 states the year before I was born. I don't know if everyone completely understands that there is very little, if no, unmixed blood within the descendants of slavery in America. I don't know if an America used to living inside of it's shell can come to grips with the complex realities of the 21st Century, but after the last 8 years I think it's time we tried.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 AM , Blogger H_UK said...

Sadly Scott your comments don't only reflect the situation in the USA. European countries that had African/Asian colonies or slave trades have similar problems.

Here in the UK it is better than it was 10/15 years ago - mainly because there are so many mixed race musicians and sportsmen coming through but there is a long way to go before being 'white' isn't a major benefit in day-to-day life.

 
At 2:15 AM , Blogger H_UK said...

PS

good luck with L03W

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home