Saturday, June 14, 2008

I love me some Kirby, but there is one weakness-



Ok - I love Kirby. Love love love the man's art, but he couldn't draw Spider-Man to save his life. Why is that? I've always thought it might be the result of some sort of personal jealousy or anger toward the other creations that Stan worked on without Jack's input, but I feel like I'm really out on a limb with that theory, psychoanalyzing a guy I barely know - who am I Mark Evanier? No. But there's just no effort made here to make him look anything like what he should look like - the webs are all wrong, any sense of the lithe teenage loser is gone. I dunno.

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM , Blogger Isaac said...

I think it's because Kirby was sort of constitutionally opposed to a scrawny hero. The whole idea of the teenage-loser Spidey is that he's "just a skinny kid."

Even when Kirby was drawing teenagers who ought to be scrawny (Big Words in the Newsboy Legion, for example), they were hale and hearty, with heroic proportions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home