Monday, September 03, 2007

I find it hard to see that anyone would care about this sort of thing...

Here is a section of the most recent work I did over George Perez - for issue 6 of the Brave and The Bold. As an inker for George you stand on the shoulder of a giant - so you think you're 500 feet tall, but really, the view is just what George sees all the time.

Here's a half page of pencils-



-And here they are after I monkeyed around with them. I'm sure a little bit of my own personality comes through in the inks, but I try and keep any deviations of style and excentricities to a minimum.



I'm very familair with George's work, having studied his art for over 3 decades, honestly closer than any other artist I've ever known (with the exception of myself) - so I try and ink him like I've seen him ink himself. My favorite work of his was when the Teen Titans shifted over to the Baxter format and he inked himself on the first few issues and a lightbulb went off in my head and I thought "Oh, THIS must be what he wanted the whole time."

I liked how George had a different face, hair shape and body shape for each of the Challengers of the Unknown and I tried to keep that dynamic as clear as possible, evern when their heads were turned away from the viewer.

I'm not very good at describing what it is I do - I've been inking for over 30 years, 15 of them professionally, so it's really just second nature to me now -and as a result a complete mystery. A "just do it" sort of thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home