Tuesday, August 08, 2006

In this, the 25th year of AIDS

In this, the 25th Year of the diagnosing of AIDS, I just want to revisit and remember the passing of Delayne Hawkins in 1994. Delayne was one of the sweetest guys the world has possibly ever seen - a great bass player, musician and artist, and was taken ill too young. I had a dream four years ago in which Delayne was on the run, hiding from the mob in the back seat of my car, his bass amp tucked away in my trunk. We talked a little, he didn't want anyone to know he was still alive. It was very sad for me to wake up. His roommate died of the disease 6 months before he eventually succumbed. I'm looking around online for a jpg of the double page spread he pencilled in the Micronauts - I don't know the issue number in which it appeared. If I find it, I'll post it.

Taller than a tree and with a heart as big as the moon - rest in peace Delayne.

2 Comments:

At 2:39 PM , Blogger blackbrass said...

Hi Scott,
On a whim, I decided to google Delayne Hawkins' name, and came across your blog. Thank you for such a heartfelt and sweet remembrance. I just wanted to point out to you that Delayne died in 1995 (a small error, if an error at all). I am still in touch with his mother - Batrice Hawkins. Delayne's father - Leonard - died on Valentines day of this year.
I don't recall you, though Delayne (and Jim) had a lot of friends. I visited them frequently in their apt at 5000 Bwy. He was indeed the GREATEST bass player I have encountered. Getty Lee (from Rush) was his idol. Well, thanks again for a nice remembrance. I will be sure to let his mother see this blog. If you care to reach me, I can be emailed at: twoplay99@hotmail.com

All the best,

Ty Gray

 
At 4:39 AM , Blogger freecookieguirgis@yahoo.com said...

i went to high school w/ Delayne, in fact he drew a Captain America for me in my high school year book. he took me to see AC/DC at the garden in '83. we had many good times together. he was a great kid. thanks for the remembrance.

stephen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home